Have fun at the Beach

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Reflections of a New Day

I think I became an Auburn fan about the 5th grade.  That's the earliest I can recall.  My dad watched college football every Saturday, and so becoming a college football fan just naturally occurred.  He was an Alabama fan, and I think I picked Auburn just to annoy him.  LOL.  Anyway, after that, I always knew I'd go to Auburn.  For awhile, I was interested in Wake Forest, but decided Auburn was closer to home.  Out of all the thoughtful pieces thousands of folks have written about their love for Auburn and why they love it, my words would be no different.  I don't know why I love it; I just do.  Maybe it's a southern thing.   I know that it's more than a football team.  It's a way of living life perhaps.  I mean, we could be the worst team in the history of the world every year, but I would still be cheering for the orange and blue.
Now, a few thoughts about yesterday's game and the afternoon spent in the Loveliest Village on the Plains.  HOT, HOT, HOT, HUMID, HUMID, HUMID.  The stadium was a sauna.  Thankfully, there were some rain showers in the area, but none at the stadium, so there was no bright sun and a slight breeze.  For the first time in 20 years, we have season tickets.  Section 43 row 61.  3 rows from the very top of the section.  Good Lord, I am out of shape.  No way was I going to the bathroom at half-time if I had to climb those steps...I have got to start working out.  Pre-game stuff was great.  I get teary-eyed every time the eagle soars, we sing "God Bless America", and "The Star Spangled Banner."  But, the canned music that is played for the crowd didn't inspire me at all.  Not crazy about "Crazy Train",  There was no "Living On a Prayer", but there was "Start Me Up".  And the crowd did go nuts with the Gary Glitter oldie and I really liked the part when everyone chanted, "Rammer Jammer Yellowhammer, Go to hell, Alabama."
Didn't realize my fingers were so fat
During the summer, I made game day collars for all the dogs and had them wearing the collars all week.  I am sure that brought the team luck.  Then, I bought myself a little game day bling at Ware Jewelers, which again, I am sure was a lucky move.  Before the game, Chris and I always go the Alumni Tent where there are great freebies, food, big screen TVs, Aubie, the band and majorettes,  and birds from the Southeastern Raptor Center.  Believe it or not, my favorite part is the birds.  They are so cool.  That little barred owl posed so nicely for me.



Well, there you have it.  An Auburn victory with a new coach is a great way to start "A New Day".  And, I believe in Auburn and love it.  Always have. Always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment