Have fun at the Beach

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sew what?

I took sewing lessons in 8th grade.  The teacher didn't like me and I wasn't very good.  I learned the basics.  My mother helped me a good bit, but to this day, I am sorry I didn't take Home Ec in high school.  At that time, I turned my nose up at the idea of taking that course because I was too "smart" to take it.  Hmph, dumbest thing I ever did.  Flash forward to my first year of marriage.  The first thing I bought on credit in MY name was a Singer sewing machine.  I began to sew a few things for myself just to see if I could do it.  Flash forward to the summer of 1987, and I made many of Matthew's shorts and shirts for a trip to Disney World.  Chris said he looked like Opie Taylor in some of those outfits.  Flash forward to Halloween of 1991.  That year I decided to make the girls' Halloween costumes.  That was so much fun, I continued to make many of their clothes.  I gave away that first Singer and bought a new machine. (One that could make buttonholes!!!)  I loved the rush I got knowing how much money I'd saved making their clothes, and I loved the compliments I received.  Sadly, they reached the age where they no longer wanted their mom to make their clothes.  My sewing projects dwindled to making costumes for church and school plays, and eventually, that stopped, too.  By then, I was into scrapbooking big time and didn't have time to sew.  The sewing machine was packed up and put in the attic.  That was the mid to late 90s.  Flash way forward to last year, when Pinterest became a big deal.  Someone pinned a picture of child's dress with a scottie applique.  And something in me decided I should begin sewing again.  It was too much trouble to look in the attic for the old machine, so I asked for a new one for Christmas.  I started with dog collars and pillow covers, and, for the first time since 1992, I made a little girl's dress.  I downloaded a pattern from Etsy, and made that scottie dress I saw on Pinterest.  After all this time, one thing I've learned...that if I spend a little more for quality fabric for a fairly simple pattern, it looks good.  And, I am proud of my first attempt in all these years.  It will break my heart if my daughters don't want me to make a few things for their children, when they have kids of their own.  I told a teacher at school that her granddaughter could have this dress if it fit her.  If not, it can wait for my first granddaughter!!

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, I always love to see another Scottie lover blogging!! I've got to get back on mine - I've not been very diligent about it lately.

    ReplyDelete