Have fun at the Beach

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rotten Ralph

In children's literature, Rotten Ralph is a naughty, but lovable cat created by Jack Gantos.  Here, at the Spragzoo, our own version is a naughty Scottish terrier.  And naughty is not quite accurate enough.   This Ralph experience is a new one for me.  He is totally different from Franklin and Eleanor.  They came here as puppies, and are so laid back.  I had seen other Scotties snarl and bare their teeth at other dogs, and would say a silent prayer of thanks that my two weren't like that at all. THEN WE GOT RALPH.  He came to us at 4 years old, unneutered, heartworm positive, and with a cataract in his right eye.  He fought with all our dogs at first.  Once he was neutered, and got adjusted to this new pack, he and the other dogs became buddies.  I did obedience classes with him, which also was a big help.  Poor little guy, at first, he was afraid to come in the house.  He had spent much of the last year as an outside dog. Gradually, he has learned he is welcome to come inside, and has made himself right at home.  He loves his crate, and wrestling with Eleanor every morning.  So now, our problem is, he won't let anyone, I mean anyone, other than Chris or me, in our house. My kids can't come over without calling to say, "Mom, I'm coming over. Put Ralph up."  Once again, Carolyn at The Developing Canine has come to our rescue.  She says he still feels he must guard everything, which is not good.  She gave me advice on what to do, and hopefully, she can work with him again in August.  In the meantime, if you want to come over, call first!!!  I will have to put Ralph up.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, he is a bossy one, isn't he? Glad that he has made friends with Franklin & Eleanor! Good luck with Ralph's training!

    ReplyDelete