Have fun at the Beach

Friday, May 24, 2013

Another One Bites the Dust

 I've just finished my 35th year of teaching.  Thirty of those thirty-five years were in Georgia.  I was lucky  enough to teach with folks who became dear friends.  Just like family.  We celebrated marriages, births, and graduations together.  We were there for funerals, for sickness, and for difficult times.  Our lives intertwined in many ways.  But, we grew older and we  moved on to different chapters in our lives.  People I loved and with whom I shared so many teaching adventures began to retire.  So, at the end of thirty years, I decided to retire from teaching in Georgia and begin teaching in Alabama.  I eagerly looked forward to starting a new phase of my career in education. I assumed my new coworkers would become friends and family, too.  Sad to say, that hasn't happened yet.   However, a pleasant camaraderie has developed with two teachers I am happy to call my friends. I am excited about next year and the plans we've made.   But, just for a while, I am not going to think about school.  I am going to rest, relax, play with my scotties, and start reading that pile of books I have stacked on my night stand.





No comments:

Post a Comment